Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Wrath of the Titans ~ David and Goliath on Steroids


Man no longer prays to the Gods. Their time is coming to an end. What man doesn’t realize is that the power of the Gods has been keeping Kronos trapped within the Earth. As the Gods weaken, their prison for Titans also weakens. Where are they going to go? Oops.


Perseus (Sam Worthington) doesn’t want any part of it. He’s done doing the bidding of gods like his father Zeus (Liam Neeson), his half-brother Ares (Edgar Ramirez), and Uncle Hades (Ralph Fiennes). He just wants to raise his son. Unfortunately the titans will be released upon the Earth and Kronos will destroy everything. Perseus has to break out the gear and start being a hero again.

I’m a little rusty on my Greek mythology, but the movie helps you figure out what you need to know to get the gist of the movie. I’m not quite sold on Worthington as a good actor yet, but he’s growing on me. I can’t complain about Liam Neeson at all. I did not get to see the first movie as of yet (Clash of the Titans) but I am familiar with the version from the 80’s which has always been a favorite of mine.  The animation is good. You do not have a problem with the blending of CG and human actors. The Story line is a bit far-fetched but we are talking about gods, titans, and cyclops, oh my.

Whenever there is a movie with small things in the same scene with big this, it always seems to get a little hard to follow the action. Make the action fast, and it’s REALLY hard. There are parts like that in Wrath. The scene is happening so fast you don’t realize what you’re seeing until it’s done, but it is not enough to make you give up on the movie.

Not many people liked the first one, and I’d suggest not letting that limit your options to see this one. I saw it in 3D and it really didn’t need to be. If you don’t have a movie you’ll holding out for, you might want to consider it, but definitely see the rental.  

Watch for the brief return of an old friend from the 80’s movie. I won’t tell you who. (I said tell.)  


No comments: